Here are some preventative online Safety Tips:
- Monitor how long they are using phones/tablets/laptops and where they use them. – Keep an eye on their behaviour and try to encourage them to have lots of other interests.
- Have access to accounts and passwords of your young person – don’t forget that for most social media apps an account holder must be at least 13 years old.
- Be their friend on the various sites and apps.
- Highlight they are not to give out personal information – phone numbers, address, date of birth, family details, bank details etc.
- It helps to stay up to date with how to use technology. Very often your young person will be the best teacher!
- Have an open conversation about the danger of strangers online and what to do – report and block.
- Every now and again type your young person’s name into a search engine, and see what comes up!
- Have an open discussion about private photos and intimate images.
- Your young people will pick up on how you approach online activity, which can be a huge example to them.
Useful website for online safety and reporting:
Apps to aid online safety:
- Family Loop Safeguard (free)
- Mobicip Safe Brower (charged)
- Kidslox – Parental Controls (charged)